Party Vibe

Register

Welcome To

1977 Space probe still in operation…

Forums Life Computers, Gadgets & Technology 1977 Space probe still in operation…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • I remember this being launched, it was shown on Blue Peter and Tomorrows World (BBC cleverly reused the same footage to save cash as NASA did (and still do) give away loads of pictures and film free to anyone who wants to look at it)

A spacecraft that took off from Cape Canaveral 35 years ago is continuing its journey out of the solar system, Nasa said today.

The Voyager 1 probe was fired into space to observe the outer planets and the mysterious interstellar medium that lies beyond the solar system on 5 September 1977, as Elvis was topping the UK chart with Way Down.

Sensors onboard the far-flung probe recorded a dramatic fall in radiation more than 11bn miles (18bn kilometres) from the sun, while the intensity of galactic cosmic rays soared.

Voyager 1 probe boldly goes, and goes

Not exactly warp speed, but built to last

I love the bit about the memory capacity, 2x 68k lol Well it’s more than my Speccy had so when the aliens capture it they will be able to play Dizzy Egg no probs : )

the Voyager probes are probably some of my favourite scientific/technological achievements. It’s one thing to look up at the moon and think “People have been there,” but realising how far the Voyagers have travelled (and the pictures they’ve taken!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]153003[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]153004[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]153005[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]153006[/ATTACH]

Mate the voyager 1 and 2 were mighty probes, I remember there was the big thing about them saying that it’s speed or course was changing at a unnatural pace. Think it was slowing down or something. Never did find out what happened to it. I may google it.

the nearest one (Voyager 2) has been linked to a twitter feed. they can still be used until they go out of range, the batteries will work until 2025.

@Mezz 535155 wrote:

Not exactly warp speed, but built to last

I love the bit about the memory capacity, 2x 68k lol Well it’s more than my Speccy had so when the aliens capture it they will be able to play Dizzy Egg no probs : )

that cost fuckloads back then, especially military grade RAM chips. The aliens will get some tunes and pictures to look at as well..

Voyager Golden Record – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

there were (and are) a suprising amount of hippy types in the aerospace industry (as many engineers hold their nose to the military aspects and take the high paid job) so perhaps they are hoping some aliens when they see it in orbit carefully haul it in using a space net / crane or whatever they need for intergalactic scrap metal recovery, carefully take it apart and use the bits to play back the record… (there is already a playback cartridge stored with the disks)

@General Lighting 535289 wrote:

the nearest one (Voyager 2) has been linked to a twitter feed. they can still be used until they go out of range, the batteries will work until 2025.

that cost fuckloads back then, especially military grade RAM chips. The aliens will get some tunes and pictures to look at as well..

Voyager Golden Record – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

there were (and are) a suprising amount of hippy types in the aerospace industry (as many engineers hold their nose to the military aspects and take the high paid job) so perhaps they are hoping some aliens when they see it in orbit carefully haul it in using a space net / crane or whatever they need for intergalactic scrap metal recovery, carefully take it apart and use the bits to play back the record… (there is already a playback cartridge stored with the disks)

A lot of physicists who helped work with the space industry were known to indulge in a little drug use. Carl Sagan (who worked extensively with the Voyager probes) was quite the advocate of cannabis, and Richard Feynman is one of the more notable users of John C. Lilly’s sensory deprivation tanks, which he did on ketamine.

@thelog 535279 wrote:

Mate the voyager 1 and 2 were mighty probes, I remember there was the big thing about them saying that it’s speed or course was changing at a unnatural pace. Think it was slowing down or something. Never did find out what happened to it. I may google it.

Voyager wasn’t following the expected course, by a few parts in a million. they did years of calculations and recently confirmed it was the pressure of the heat radiation it was emitting which wasnt quite centred and just pushed it slightly . that’s a tiny effect but over the decades and billions of miles it added up!

Voices

Replies

Tags

This topic has no tags

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Life Computers, Gadgets & Technology 1977 Space probe still in operation…