Party Vibe

Register

Welcome To

5.1 / 7.1 surround systems tips

Forums Life Computers, Gadgets & Technology 5.1 / 7.1 surround systems tips

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
  • Just upgraded to a quad core Dell PC to improve Ableton operation (along with 3GB ram which is now considered necessary for full operation).
    Also got a soundblaster x-fi elite pro to sort out a miserable period trying to get decent audio from vista (managed to partition the hard drive and set set up XP alongside vista in the BIOS setting).

Don’t know how common or new this problem is but the internal spare power connections in the PC were 15 pin SATA types and not the usual 4 pin connector which is supplied with the soundcard. As a result i’ve had to get a 15 pin SATA (male) to dual 4 pin molex (female) adaptor costing £7 and a three day postage wait :annoyed: . This was from an online co. Misco and i spent quite a while looking on other sites, also went into PC world who were no help at all :hopeless:.

Basically this is aimed at those looking to upgrade their PC’s and audio kit as its an irritating, time consuming glitch you can do without!

Checking out some of the other forums it looks like a power connector change has taken place

Would say if you want to do audio on your PC you’d be better off with a pro sound card – the x-fi’s are ok, and support ASIO, but they’re still not a patch on a good pro card – something like one of the good M-audio cards, or if you’re on a low budget, one of the Emu cards (which are owned by Creative, and are available fairly cheaply these days, but have much better interface options, a more comprehensive ASIO mixer interface with better hardware effects etc than the Soundblaster cards (which are designed to be all round cards rather than specific audio creation tools))….

Not using Vista is also good advice – it’s a monstrous resource hog, and general pain in the rear end to set up properly… XP is a much better option, as it has tried and tested drivers and software (even Cubase hardly crashes at all these days on XP :wink:)…

Strange that Dell don’t include 4 pin molex’s on your PSU though – considering that most kit (including a lot of SATA kit) uses them… Sounds like Dell going back to their old ways of making their customers upgrade through them – thought they’d learnt that lesson a while ago… All it does is drive their customers away next time they get a PC :you_crazy

I already have NI’s audio kontrol 1 which is a fairly high end audio interface (although i would advise getting the Audio 8 to get the full stereo input connections!..bit pricey though).

Reason for choosing the x-fi elite pro card is the 7.1 speaker support which although available on other cards has an additional feature with 3D MIDI where you can program sounds specifically to individual speakers. i’ve always liked the additional software support updates with creative particularly as these are well established with XP.

Saying that the m-audio cards are fairly low cost and have great audio quality reviews as you mention above.

Ah… The X-fi makes sense now (been a bit surprised at the lack of surround support with most pro cards – specially as most of the software now supports it. Possibly more to do with the expected use than anything else – it’s pretty rare to get surround sound rigs at events, and even rarer to get a good one)…

Didn’t know NI had started doing interfaces too (their software has always been top notch though, so I wouldn’t expect any less from their hardware…)raaa

I posted a similar thread on the ableton forum to see what would come about and as expected got rubbished a bit!! but the feedback was quite useful

I get the impression that Steinberg are the pros favourite for audio and checking out the MR816 CSX 8 input audio interface i was drooling but a price tag of around £800 is a bit much. M audio do the fast track ultra which has 8 dedicated i/o @ £329 and this is what you want for 7.1 audio programming along with an audio software package like the nuendo 4.

a 7.1 surround set up at an outdoor event would be ace though… hope it does go that way

Ye – for sure…. I have heard of a couple of events where they had surround rigs that worked properly, but all the ones I’ve heard have been pretty useless… Could make for some head spinning music – good for trippers, but could make the drunk people even more ill…:weee:

Pity i can’t change the thread title to 5.1 / 7.1 surround systems. It would be good to see if other folks have any experience / tips.

Although my current 7.1 set up is good i reckon there is a long way to go programming the software to pull it off properly.

Brock the badger;232843 wrote:
    Pity i can’t change the thread title to 5.1 / 7.1 surround systems. It would be good to see if other folks have any experience / tips.

Although my current 7.1 set up is good i reckon there is a long way to go programming the software to pull it off properly.

Have edited it for you 😉

cheers!

Voices

Replies

Tags

This topic has no tags

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Life Computers, Gadgets & Technology 5.1 / 7.1 surround systems tips